Monday , September 23 2019
Home / Formula 1 News / VW Group rules out F1 entry

VW Group rules out F1 entry

The VW Group will not enter Formula 1 while the ownership of the sport and the technical regulations remain in turmoil, according to the group’s motorsport boss, Wolfgang Dürheimer.

“Formula 1 is not on our agenda right now,” said Dürheimer. “The situation is not predictable enough to make the kind of investment required.

“On the regulations front, there are a lot of rumours around the engine side and the supporting technology side. Before you commit the kind of money needed you must see five years of rules stability – there can’t be the possibility of rules changes, of more or less engine cylinders coming in, or the hybrid system changing away from technology you are developing on road cars.

“On the ownership side, there are also big questions the sport must answer. If you are a big business making a big investment you expect to have some influence on the set-up, with an assurance the present ownership will last. In F1, it seems the owners will not be there forever and that creates some instability.”

The controlling shareholder in Formula 1, CVC Capital Partners, has indicated it could sell the sport in recent months, with F1 chief executive Bernie Ecclestone understood to be pushing for a change of ownership. Speaking to the Daily Mail newspaper this week, Ecclestone said: “Formula One is the worst it has ever been. I wouldn’t spend my money to take my family to watch a race. No way.”

Last year, Audi was strongly linked to an F1 deal with Red Bull from 2017, but the partnership is strongly rumoured to have been derailed by the VW emissions scandal.